What is CodeIgniter?
CodeIgniter is an open-source application development PHP MVC framework.
CodeIgniter is a toolkit which lots of libraries and packages for connecting to the database and performing operations like sending emails, uploading files, etc.
In this manner you can develop application faster than you could if you were writing code from scratch. It is faster and lighter.
Features of CodeIgniter
Small footprint framework: CodeIgniter 3 has a 2MB download, including the user guide. CodeIgniter 4 is a 1.2MB download, plus 6MB for the user guide. This makes it easy to learn and work if you are already familiar with PHP.
- An application framework: CodeIgniter is a PHP framework for developing applications much faster and easy with the help of built in API” s and libraries. So, you can develop the application in a structural and logical manner.
- Light Weight and fast: It is really light weighted and fast too. It works independently without relying too much on other components. This makes it easy to maintain and upgrade.
- Uses MVC Architecture: CodeIgniter framework uses the MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture. It separates between logic and presentation.
- Clean and search friendly URLs: The URLs generated by CodeIgniter are clean and search-engine friendly.
- Built in libraries and API: CodeIgniter comes with built in libraries and API that helps in web development tasks like accessing a database, sending email, validating form data and much more.
- CodeIgniter is Extensible: CodeIgniter comes with some libraries, and helpers out of the box. Then we can easily use these libraries and REST API in CodeIgniter.
- Template Engine not required: It does come with a simple template. CodeIgniter does not force you to use one.
- Well Documented: The framework of CodeIgniter is well documented. And there are lots of good books and tutorials so they can answer questions on CodeIgniter. And so many CodeIgniter forums are there Whenever someone has encountered the problem you get the solutions.